HISTORIC GROLIER BOOKSHOP in Harvard Square, the oldest all-poetry bookstore in the country, is looking for a Manager.
Since it was established in 1927 Grolier Poetry Bookshop has been a gathering place for poets, including T. S. Eliot, Marianne Moore, E. E. Cummings, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Allen Ginsberg, Charles Olson, Adrienne Rich, Frank O’Hara, James Tate, Robert Pinsky, and many others. The store hosts many events, including readings, book-signings, and discussions. It also sponsors a poetry contest and publishes the winning manuscripts.
The manager will be responsible for all aspects of running the business:
- Buying and inventory control
- Development and maintenance of online sales
Applicant must have
- Extensive bookselling experience, including in-store and online sales; experience buying and cost-effectively managing inventory, and a basic knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting
- A wide knowledge of and familiarity with poetry past and present. Customers come to the store from all over the world to talk to someone who knows and cares deeply about poets and poetry.
- Forward thinking ideas about how to maintain a thriving bricks-and-mortar business in the age of discount and online sales. To that end, marketing experience is a plus.
The position is part-time now, with the possibility of full time in the future. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter and a detailed résumé to:
Ifeanyi Menkiti, Grolier Poetry Bookshop, 6 Plympton Street, Cambridge, MA 01238
or via email to: Sharon Bryan email@example.com